Maurices® Credit Card Review
Many people are very fond of Maurice's retail clothing store. The company is an American enterprise based in Duluth MN, and it has been in business since 1931. It is a small chain with only about 900 brick and mortar stores in the US and in Canada. Since 2005, the chain has been owned by the Ascena Group (also the owner of the Dress Barn).
Maurice's credit card is issued and managed by Comenity Bank. In this Maurices credit card review, we will explore the benefits, pros and cons of this card and make some suggestions for its best uses.
What Is The Maurice Credit Card?
Maurice's is presented as a store and business that values the diversity of its employees and its customers. In 2011, Forbes magazine ranked the store as #3 in its top ten places to work.
With this kind of positive background, you would expect their credit card to be a good one, and indeed it is presented as having many positive and valuable features. Among them are:
- You will receive an introductory 15% discount when you receive your credit card.
- You can avoid finance charges by paying your bill in full monthly.
- You will receive advance notice of promotions and sales.
- You can manage your account and pay your bills online (in-store or by mail are also offered)
- You may add authorized buyers.
- The card carries no annual fee.
- Timely payment results in generous credit line increases (which may come as a pleasant surprise).
- You can use the card to build your credit rating if you have low or no credit history.
- Maurice's does not require an exceptionally high credit score for approval.
- It is easy to apply and receive approval for this card.
- There are many ways to make your payments.
- It's easy to keep up with your account online.
- You get a 5% off coupon on your birthday.
- Discount coupons add value.
- Very low starting credit limit.
- Customer service from Comenity Bank is notoriously bad and Maurice's customer service is not available 24/7.
- You cannot use your credit card for Maurice's in Canada at Maurice's in the US or vice versa.
- Interest rates vary from customer to customer with the lowest being 24.99%.
- Many customers complain of random fees (e.g. $15 processing fee).
- The card can only be used at Maurice's stores or Maurice's online.
- There are no rebates, points or rewards offered with this card.
Who Might Benefit From Maurice's Credit Card?
Maurice's is a fun place to shop and has very fashionable, trendy clothes, shoes and accessories on offer. Clothing choices seem to be geared toward younger, slimmer shoppers with these offerings most abundant and more reasonably priced.
Clothing basics in plus sizes are significantly more expensive than trendy items and in smaller sizes. This, combined with the fact that initial credit limits are low and interest rates are high leads us to believe that this card is really geared toward slim young women with poor or no credit history.
For this reason, it might be a good starter card if used with extreme care.
Who Should Not Use Maurice's Credit Card
If you are a mature woman and you need a card that provides real value for purchasing sensible clothing, shoes and accessories for every day, Maurice's is not the card for you.
Merchandise prices are high, choices are limited, your starting credit limit will be low and the interest rates are very high. It would be difficult to put together a sensible wardrobe and pay for it in a timely manner using this card.
What Is The Best Use For This Credit Card?
Maurice's credit card would be a nice starter card for a young woman who wants to establish or improve her credit rating.
If you are able to watch and plan for the sales and coupons, purchasing some centerpiece wardrobe items such as a nice coat, boots, high quality accessories, and so on would be a good use of this card as long as you are able to pay for them in full within one or two billing cycles.
You would not want to carry a balance because the high interest rate would consume your payments almost faster than you could make them. Planning to purchase one, special seasonal wardrobe item (using a coupon and/or discount) and pay it off right away could be a good use of this card.
Caveats & Final Thoughts
You should be well aware that complaints about customer service and payment processing are many and varied with this card.
Large numbers of reviewers complain that their payments are not properly documented and that when the bank encounters a problem receiving payments, they tend to just let it ride and allow late fees to accumulate.
Customers say that this causes credit ratings to plummet and results in huge, unexpected bills. For this reason, if you do decide to use this card to build your credit rating, you must be absolutely sure to note your verification number for your payments and check your account frequently (even if you close it) to be certain you are not being charged mystery fees.
As clothing and department store credit cards go, Maurice's is about the same as the rest. All of these types of cards have high interest, low credit limits and offer in-store specific discounts and coupons.
There is a certain cachet to shopping at Maurice's, so having their credit card could be convenient and help you add some very fashionable items to your wardrobe. It could also help you build and improve your credit rating as long as you use it very judiciously.